Winter Wanderings- 2024 Winter Events in East Tennessee
Wondering where to wander during the chilly winter months?
The winter does bring a chill and some snow to the 9 Lakes of East Tennessee. but winter also brings some of the hottest bird watching, geode searching, and indoor adventures of the year.
If you find yourself wondering where to wander, this is one of the prime seasons for migration of shorebirds and you want to make Rankin Bottoms your destination. As Douglas Lake water recedes, the migrating and overwintering birds descend on the mudflats to feed on mollusks, tadpoles, insects, and larvae. The low winter pool of Douglas Lake also brings out geode hunters searching for quartz crystals. You can walk for miles along the dry lake bed to search for treasures. Be sure to look up for eagles in flight. Douglas, along with Norris, Melton Hill, Tellico, and Watts Bar lakes are all home to nesting eagles and other raptors. Without the leaf canopy of spring, summer, and fall, it is much easier to locate nests. Whether you locate a nest, geode, or a rare shorebird, your day will be memorable.
After a day at play, move indoors and try one of the many restaurants that is ready to serve you. After a day of adventure, a yummy meal is in order to refuel. Many of your summer favorites might closed for the season, but there are plenty of other options to try for some downhome, country cooking. On our must list are Dean’s Bakery in Oak Ridge; Bush Beans near Douglas Lake and Rankin Bottoms, Tellicafe in Tellico Plains, or Rickard Ridge in Cove Lake State Park. If it is coffee you are needing, Knoxville has gained a reputation as a prime destination for this hot, tasty beverage.
Wander East Tennessee on your 2024 winter get-away:
- Now through spring: Oak Ridge Farmers Market– Jackson Square- Saturdays 9am- 1 pm-
- Now through closing date: Ober Gatlinburg Snow Tubing– Gatlinburg
- Feb 7 and May 8: WDVX Tennessee Shines concert series at the historic Bijou Theater- Knoxville
- Jan 27: 8th Annual ChocolateFest– Knoxville- Chilhowee Park Exposition Center
- Jan 29: Suet Making workshop- Cove Lake State Park
- Feb 3: Winter Woodpecker Hike- 7 Islands State Birding Park
- Feb 10: Valentine Dinner– Rugby- Grey Gables Bed and Breakfast Inn.
- Feb 13: English Country Dancing– Fort Loudoun State Historic Park, Vonore
- Feb 24: Tennessee Winter Beer Festival- Townsend
- Mar 1-2: NRRS Hillclimb– Windrock Park- Oliver Springs
- Mar 15-17: Tennessee Nationals Enduro Bike Festival– Oliver Springs
- Mar 21-24: Big Ears Festival- Knoxville TN